Once in a while, or maybe more often for some, a runner experiences this extreme desire not to go running when they know they have to. Whether it is still dark out and you do not want to get out of bed or you just came home from work and all you want to do is Netflix and nap. These annoying urges that keep you from getting out the door can be silenced with these five tips that will get you out the door an out on a run.
1. Put on your running shoes: just having them on will trick your body into wanting to get out there for a jog. If you are a morning runner, sleep in your running gear.
2. Drink a cup of coffee: getting up and making a cup of coffee will get you ½ way to out the door. First half is just standing up.
3. Listen to a running podcast: Runner’s World and BibRave Podcast are two of the best. They will get you inspired to go run. Just make sure you download a couple episodes for the run as well.
4. Ask a friend out for a beer: make plans to go somewhere with a friend and then run there. Make sure that you only have a couple drinks so you can run home.
5. Shut up and go run: walk up to the mirror, tell yourself to shut it, and then go running. Sounds simple but it is most effective.
Ideally every runner would be motivated 100% of the time and these issues would never come up. Since that is not true, it is important to have little tools in your arsenal so that you can overcome any speed bumps in your routine. Looking for excuses to not go for a run is a common activity. Use these tricks to trick yourself into wanting to go for a run. By having your body conditioned to wanting to run after an activity, you will have an easier time making sure that you get every training run done.
Let me know what gets you out the door for a run. Comment below!